Maple bacon donuts, I love you. I love you so much, I wrote you a haiku:
“I really know now
that I can’t live without you
I think this is love”
While my poetry skills speak for themselves, I have a couple other things I need to say about these donuts. First of all, they’re gluten-free, dairy-free, AND paleo. Say what?! Yeah, you heard me.
Secondly, if you don’t have a donut pan, just make muffins. They’ll taste the same, and look a little different. Embrace your individuality.
Maple Bacon Donuts
- Donut pan
- Frying pan
- Mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula
For the donuts
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 ¾ cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the glaze
- ½ cup melted coconut butter
- 2 tbsp milk (I used oat)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350℉, grease a donut pan.
- Dice bacon & cook in a pan over medium heat. About 3/4 of the way through, remove 1/2 of the bacon & set aside. Cook remaining bacon until crispy, then remove to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb grease. Chop into small pieces.
- Wipe grease out of pan & add back the bacon you saved, along with coconut sugar. Cook over medium heat until bacon becomes caramelized. Remove to a plate lined with parchment paper (NOT a paper towel). Let cool, chop into pieces & set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt & cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, maple syrup, oil & vanilla.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients, then fold in non-caramelized bacon.
- Carefully transfer batter to donut pan. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Let cool in donut pan for 10 min, then transfer to cooling rack.
- To make glaze, warm maple syrup & milk. Soften coconut butter. It's important everything is warm so the glaze stays nice and smooth & doesn't seize up.
- Whisk together warmed glaze ingredients.
- Once donuts are cool, dip into glaze & top with caramelized bacon!