If there’s one thing you don’t know about me, it’s that I LOVE Mexican food. Sometimes, the only word to describe my relationship with chips and guac is “addiction.” So in spirit of the season, I made guac, ate an entire bag of corn chips and decided to make this killer green salsa.
I’m a sucker for salsa verde but my beloved Trader Joe’s does not carry tomatillos! So I improvised, and this is what happened. And I can tell you, it was great. So great. Spicy, creamy, clean…everything you could ever wish for in a salsa. The tang and spice was the yin to the yang of my bacon, egg, and veggie scramble, adding life to a dish I so monotonously produce every morning. And thus, the ultimate breakfast taco was born.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 large green bell pepper
2 jalapeños (if you dare)
1/2 can (2oz) mild green chiles + liquid
juice from 1/2 lemon
juice from 1 lime
salt, to taste
- Preheat your broiler and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you don’t have a broiler, simply heat your oven to 400 degrees and proceed normally. It will just take a bit longer for the peppers to be fully charred.
- Place green pepper and jalapeños on baking sheet, and broil until charred. This will take about 20 minutes, possibly shorter for the jalapeños, but be sure to turn the peppers about every 5 minutes.
- Once peppers are fully charred, remove from oven.
- Allow peppers to cool enough to be touched.
- Remove skin from peppers. If they are charred fully, this should be easy.
- Add skinned peppers and remaining ingredients to blender.
- Blend on high until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
8. Let mixture cool in the fridge until use.
9. Warm up a corn tortilla, spread green salsa on top, and add your favorite rendition of a bacon and egg scramble. You will now be transported to breakfast heaven. Notice the taco in the photo is already half eaten…I couldn’t resist.