Guys, I’ve been hiding something from you. It isn’t easy to say this. But, I have to come clean. I, Analiese Trimber, am in love with Applegate. As a blogger and food writer in general, I try to stay product agnostic, but I am an Applegate loyalist and I will be until the day I die. My absolute favorite thing has to be the smoked turkey, and I eat it almost every day for lunch. When I found out they were launching their #cleanerwiener campaign, I ran to the store to stock up on their juicy hot dogs, stat.
Because I’m all for combining as many pork products as possible into one dish, I present to you these bacon-wrapped Applegate hot dogs. And because I was feeling a little festive, I decided to add some guac, Garden of Eatin’ blue corn chips, and my special jalapeño-lime aioli on top. Please do yourself a favor and make these, ASAP.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Servings: 4 hot dogs
For the hot dogs:
2 slices bacon
4 Applegate Natural Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
For the guacamole:
1/2 jalapeño, small diced
1 lime, juiced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste
Other hot dog ingredients:
1 handful Garden of Eatin’ Blue Corn Tortilla Chips, crushed
4 gluten-free hot dog buns
For the aioli:
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lime juice
zest from 1 lime
1 clove garlic
3/4-1 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice bacon in half length-wise, so it is half as wide.
- Cut a slit in each hot dog, then wrap in bacon and secure both ends with a toothpick.
- Place in a cast iron skillet or other type of pan that can go into the oven.
- Cook in oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until bacon on the side in contact with the pan has browned.
- Flip hot dogs and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, again keeping an eye on the bacon.
- While the hot dogs are in the oven, start making your guac.
- In a separate bowl, mash both avocados until your desired consistency.
- Add diced jalapeño, tomato, lemon juice, lime juice, and salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Set guacamole aside until ready to plate.
- Add all aioli ingredients except olive oil to your food processor.
- Pulse a few times until ingredients are fully combined.
- Once ingredients are combined, turn food processor on and slowly add olive oil in a thin stream until all used, or until aioli is at your desired consistency.
- Remove finished aioli to a separate bowl and chill in the fridge, if desired.
- Once all components for the hot dogs have been made, toast your gluten-free buns (if desired).
- Place bacon-wrapped hot dog in bun, top with guacamole, crushed Garden of Eatin’ blue corn chips, and drizzle with jalapeño lime aioli.